Service Learning Week 1


For my Service Learning opportunity, I chose an elementary school near me at the foothills of Mount Ben Lomond.  The school has grades Kindergarten through sixth with 29 teachers.  There are approximately 630 students at the school. Of those students we have 9 Asians, 3 Black, 598 Caucasian, 22 Hispanic and 7 Multi Race.  The school received a “B” grade last year on their SAGE scores, but the previous year when I was employed by them, they received an “A”.   
The Data Gateway information for SAGE was listed for the 2016-2017 School year as follows.
For Language Arts Proficiency: State 45%,
District 39%
Lomond View 67% 
In Mathematics Proficiency:
State 47%
District 42%
Lomond View 70% 
For Science Proficiency:
State 49%
District 43%
Lomond View 71%
DIBELS Scores:
State 73%
District 76%
Lomond View 83%
During this semester I will be working with the third grade students and helping them with math and comprehension.  I sometimes take students to a back table in groups to go over key material they did not understand, or walk around the classroom helping students stay caught up with the teacher when she is giving instructions.  I also get to work one on one with those students who need a little bit of extra help.  I am excited to be working with the teacher and students.
This semester I also have the opportunity to go into a sixth grade classroom and work with the teacher and students during their math time.  The teacher was selected by the district to participate in a Math Enrichment program where they discuss the curriculum for the upcoming year.  I’m really excited to see what I can learn and also how to strategically help the students understand what they are learning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning Behaviors

Positive Behavior Week 3